Wednesday, 2 January 2008
How to Grow a Rose Garden
If you haven't seen Oprah Winfrey's Santa Barbara rose garden, you must take the tour. Her favorite is Honey Dijon. Good drainage, good soil, good air circulation & lots of sunshine....With the help of her expert gardener, Dan Bifano, she has created an oasis where on certain special days the petals fall like snow. If you love these blooms or long to have a dozen sent to you when you're not expecting them, then go on over and visit her for this rose lesson. Another great resource is your rose society in the U.S. or here in Canada. I guess Bob Greene lives with her? (You'll see what I mean if you click on 'tour'.) Listen to me giving all of you this grand information; I'm not a gardener, so you grow them and then I'll come wearing my garden smock and crocheted rose cap to photograph them! So here are my suggestions...
How to Grow a Rose Garden:
1. Move to Santa Barbara, get a gardening journal and follow these instructions.
2. Visit your local Rose Society online and/or join. They probably serve great tea.
3. Learn the difference between Hot Coco and Marilyn Monroe.
4. Hire Dan Bifano. He could be busy with Barbra Streisand so book him now to avoid disappointment.
5. Consult with your designer. You'll want your blooms to match your carpet.
6. Invest in lovely glass containers. My fav is the gathering vase.
7. Buy some rose books. At the very least they'll look great on your coffee table.
8. Purchase watercolour paper and gouache paint to plan the layout. Frame it.
9. Burn rose scented candles to put you in the mood. Never leave a burning candle unattended. You could burn down the house and have to work on rebuilding instead of digging and watering.
10. If all else fails, beg for a bouquet to be sent to your office. (or if that fails, send some to yourself - be sure they arrive at the appropriate time of day so others will see how loved you are.)
OFF TOPIC UPDATE: I just found a great backstage video regarding my hair. How will I wear my crocheted rose cap if my hair gets this big for Spring 08?