Sunday 30 August 2009

Little Altars Everywhere


Rebecca Wells is an American playwright and author. She is best known for her Ya-Ya series of novels, which includes Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Little Altars Everywhere, Ya-Yas in Bloom, and The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder. Her writing so far resides in the heart of Louisiana. While many fans assume her work is autobiographical, Wells says, "My work is a result of my imagination dancing a kind of psycho-spiritual tango with my own history, and the final harvest is fiction, not memoir." Her first novel, Little Altars Everywhere, won the Western States Book Award, became an underground bestseller, supported by independent bookstores nation-wide before becoming a New York Times bestseller.



In honour of Rebecca and my great blogging friend Kitty, I'm going to have 'Altar Week' here on Liberty Post! (Kitty's blogs here, here and here) Kitty has an altar in her home. Kitty says: "It is an ever changing array that moves around the house, but usually stays in the guest room where I do yoga. Essential elements include: an image of Buddha, seasonal flowers, candles, a little dish of water, and photos of my family members. Right now, its surface area is the top of the bookcase where I keep my Dharma books and my great grandmothers' Bibles. Today, as I mentioned, I am adding a little picture of the President (because of this), probably beside the smiling face of the Dalai Lama." Do you have an altar? Tell me more....(buy Little Altars Everywhere at my very own Amazon store - safe, secure and delightful...no crowds...no rude salesclerks..wink.)
Send me your personal/creative altar or sacred space photos! I'll feature you.

No comments: