Tuesday 21 July 2009

I Am Bedouin








A few gifts from my Egypt Girl: a bowl & tea from Kenya, a Bedouin scarf (have I told you that I have Bedouin blood?) and some charms for my necklace.

Dung beetles are beetles that feed partly or exclusively on feces. Several species of the dung beetle, most notably the species Scarabaeus sacer (often referred to as the sacred scarab), enjoyed a sacred status among the ancient Egyptians. The hieroglyphic image of the beetle represents a triliteral phonetic that Egyptologists transliterate as "to come into being", "to become" or "to transform".

Evil eye is a look that is believed by many cultures to be able to cause injury or bad luck on the person at whom it is directed. My new blue evil eye from Cairo market will protect me! The term also refers to the power, superstitiously attributed to certain persons, of inflicting injury or bad luck by such a look. The idea that the term (which has been around for over a millennium) denotes causes many cultures to pursue protective measures against it. The concept and its significance vary widely between different cultures. The Eye of Horus - Horus was an ancient Egyptian sky god in the form of a falcon. The right eye represents a peregrine falcon's eye and the markings around it, that includes the "teardrop" marking sometimes found below the eye. The right eye of Horus is said to ward off evil eye in the ancient Egyptian culture.

3 comments:

Kalee said...

Fabulous blog! Thanks for sharing!

Silke Powers said...

Oh, what a great post! My aunt married a Turkish man and we used to visit her in Turkey (the evil eye reminded me of that - she gave us those as gifts) and I am fascinated by that part of the world. The food alone is enough to enthrall me... What wonderful gifts you received! :) Silke

Evil Eye said...

Just be sure to stay away from the Evil Eye!