Saturday 13 September 2008

Touching My Breasts

I have mixed feelings about all this 'pink' stuff. I think I might be getting sick saturated with it all. I have a heart though, not just breasts. I know what needs to be done and I know we still haven't found a cure. Damn it all anyway. I guess I will have to tolerate all the pink stuff a little longer. I will admit, there is an organization that is rockin' cool hip graphic and more in line with my kind of non-profit. Rethink Breast Cancer is a charity helping young people who are concerned about and affected by breast cancer through innovative breast cancer education, research and support programs. Rethink is a national volunteer-driven registered charity with a bold, enterprising and entrepreneurial approach. They are thinking differently about how to beat breast cancer. It's called Rethink Breast Cancer.

MJ DeCoteau was 18 years old when her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and 22 when the disease claimed her mom’s life. She knew she should be taking steps to find out more about her own risk factors. Yet, when she picked up breast health pamphlets at her doctor’s office, they seemed scary and overwhelming. Troubled by the fact that although breast cancer awareness is strong, far too many smart young women and men still do not know the facts about the disease, MJ was inspired to gather together passionate, energetic and creative people to help found Rethink Breast Cancer.

As Executive Director, MJ is responsible for the overall direction, management, fundraising strategy and creative vision of the charity. In 2004, MJ was featured in Maclean’s Magazine’s Honour Roll, as one of 10 Canadians who made a difference. In 2006, she was profiled by Chatelaine Magazine for an article featuring Ten Women They’d Like to See Run the Country. (Canada)

Now that's one cool woman! Love her. She does stuff like this and this. Feast your boobies.

This handsome note-card allows you to express your own thoughts -- both inside and out. Create your own witty sayings to complete the story, or leave it blank to fill the receiver with a sense of mystery and intrigue. Becca Taylor ("The Wonderful Year") has created great comics, and now turns her art to a more serious topic. Proceeds from this card benefit Breast Cancer Research. (I hope God doesn't 'get' me for this post. I'm weird that way. It could happen ya know - hating skunks and pink stuff in one day - yikes)

1 comment:

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

thanks for getting the awareness out there!