Saturday 20 September 2008

Time To Plant A Tree

Trees curb carbon emissions and water pollution, cool our streets, have been shown to reduce crime and asthma, raise property values, and improve the overall health of city residents.

Plant deciduous trees now, in the fall, from leaf-fall until freeze-up. Evergreens can be planted in the fall too, from about the first week of August to the end of October. Find more resources here for Ontario, here for Canada, here for Global.

“The symbolism – and the substantive significance – of planting a tree has universal power in every culture and every society on Earth, and it is a way for individual men, women and children to participate in creating solutions for the environmental crisis.” - Al Gore, Earth in the Balance
I shot this fresh mushroom during my hike this morning on the top of the mountain overlooking the beach - it grew so lush and healthy due in part to those green abundant trees in the background. I must say, I do believe, I really do, that the air quality was crisp and cleaner near those trees. I just wanted to hug them. (I didn't because it could weird the hikers out)

No comments: