Tuesday 8 July 2008

Yoani Sanchez



This is important. This is why I use the powerhouse word 'Liberty' in my name. Embrace this brave freedom writer Yoani Sanchez, a Cuban dissident, who dares to speak out against Cuban society in her internet blog. Yoani must pretend to be German to sneak into hotels in Havana to post on her blog. There, in the darkened rum and lime scented lounges, she steals the internet for us. She writes about double standards, conformism, paranoia and fear. My heart sank when I watched her say, 'I don't hide weapons under my bed, I just give my opinions.' Cubans are not allowed to have a specific 'voice'. Her safety is at risk, so we need to support her and her rights. We must protect the freedom of the press for everyone, everywhere. Spread the word for her. Give her wings to fly.

No comments: