Monday 5 May 2008

Cinco de Mayo with Frida Kahlo


Frida was a Mexican art star. An international, cultural provocateur. She drank too much, cursed too much, trusted too much, loved too much and smoked too much. She was a woman of excesses. Nothing was 'half way' for her. If she was going to do something, she darn well did it. I will be going to her blue house some day soon. I will stand and stare at Diego's murals just as she did. I will burn with artistic desire when I feast my eyes on her tiny paintings. I will feel her pain when I contemplate her surrealism. It is no secret, she is my all time favorite artist. On this, May 5th (Cinco de Mayo), a Mexican celebration, my wish is that we all live with extreme passion and courage. Have a colourful day. We will be celebrating today with a family feast. If you are not doing anything for this occasion, I highly recommend the movie Frida. You can rent it anywhere. It is a beautiful and heartbreaking art film. I promise you. It will change you. Adios Bonitas!

"I paint self portraits because I am the person I know best." - Frida Kahlo

3 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

Celebrated CdM with a quesadilla myself. Frida is such a cool film. I may watch it tonight as per your suggestion. Thanks!

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

I loved that movie...its a must watch

Mélanie said...

Great post about my all time woman artist also !
I went to Coyoacan and I come back there everytime I'm in Mexico city .
I am not half way neither and I love poeple like that . Here in France we say that we are mediterranean , we are poeple of extremes and I love this state of mond