Tuesday 4 March 2008

Snap To It or Snap Out of It






Appearances are everything. First impressions count. 'They' say that people will judge you and your capabilities within 2 minutes of meeting you. That's why I bought a really cool knitting bag from Blue Q to display at my Mom's home. I say 'display' because really, it's just for looks. You never know who might come waltzing into their living room, see me without a fine art needle arts project and decide, 'poor thing', she doesn't 'have it'. But that shopper I bought. That shopper has saved me more times than I care to think about. When they see the bag they immediately assume that I am quite accomplished. It was the best $11.99 I ever spent.
Who am I kidding? Certainly not you my dear readers, as you know all my deep dark secrets. Like the fact that I only pretend that I can knit. How can I possibly compete with this? And if I haven't told you before, I can only 'knit'. I can't 'purl', which is a real drag when I long to complete a super-detailed caplet. I 'd like to wear one with high heels by the campfire on the beach this summer. It does get chilly at night.(scratch that caplet idea - that's crochet - plus the skill level is Advanced Beginner -now I'm going into a fit.) It must be said though that I really should get an 'A+' for effort. This work in progress is a scarf. Good colour for my skin tone, don't you agree? I've been working on it now for 1.5 years. Not the fastest wool girl in the race, but in the race anyway. I'm so quick that I'm considering investing in this book of projects for every month of the year. Is that laughter? It's all about the bag for me anyway. Isn't it just darling? Oh, I hear you. I can hear those words coming out of your mouth. 'Snap To It'. You can't speak to me that way! The audacity. I am the 'Boss Lady' after all, so I've made the decision to just write about & photograph knitting. Then I could make a contribution.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh my gosh, you did it. I've been on the lookout for a sassy cowgirl to trick out my funky travel trailer....Boss Lady is IT. Yee Hawww!

Bronwyn said...

Hehe:) I haven't gotten further than knitting anything more complicated than scarves. I do one every two years or so....the latest one has been waiting around to be finished for months:)

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog. I've been reading the last few months. I'm a knitter AND I'm a Grey Gardens fan.

I wanted to share a website with you that will not only teach you how to purl, but also a number of other great knitting tricks. Video is the key! Check out http://www.knittinghelp.com

Hope this helps!

BTW, I'm username: laprincessa on http://www.ravelry.com (another great knitting source) - connect with me!