Monday 11 February 2008

The Rolex Mentors and Proteges Arts Initiative




I was playing with the remote yesterday afternoon. Bad weather transforms many Canadian televisions into giant human magnets and there are many a fight over the coveted computer chair. I lost. And then I won.

While flipping; channel surfing I found a treasure. On BBC World. Love & kisses to this network. I discovered a wonderful program called Mentors & Proteges. The Rolex Mentor and Protégé Arts Initiative is an international philanthropic programme created to assist extraordinary, rising artists to achieve their full potential. It seeks out these artists from around the world and brings them together with great masters, for a year of creative collaboration in a one-to-one mentoring relationship.

This particular episode featured Julie Taymor (Mentor) and Selina Cartmell (Protege). I was transfixed, eyes focused, pen and leather notebook in hand. Glorious. Inspiring.

If you love or want to learn more about dance, literature, film, music, visual arts and theatre find your timeslot and cuddle in for amazing stories. Oh how my heart skips a beat. Watch a clip here.

3 episodes will be broadcast on BBC World - Feb. 11th (Theatre & Literature), Feb. 16th (Dance & Visual Arts) & Feb. 23rd (Music & Film).


Photo Credit: Mentors & Proteges

No comments: