Thursday 4 February 2010

Suzani Ribbons: Designer ALERT (Level HIGH)







I just made the most incredible discovery this morning! Suzani Ribbons created by the genius-textile artist, Laura Foster Nicholson. (If you aren't familiar with Suzani's, read this post and this post by Joni of Cote de Texas...I'm pretty sure she has 24 posts on the subject.) Now everyone can afford a 'little suzani' in their home! Laura is an award-winning textile artist nationally known for handwoven brocaded tapestries. Visit her blog here. In addition to this art work she designs ribbons, custom textiles for interiors, and household textiles for companies such as Crate & Barrel. Ribbons are her "tiny textiles", beautiful little tapestries in miniature. She is known for her distinctive design sense and finely tuned color palette. Ribbons are ornate and elaborate woven textiles which provide decoration, richness, and a sense of delight. LFN TEXTILES (Laura's company) features extraordinary ribbon embellishments and trims suitable for all kinds of sewing projects: quilting, beading, scrap books, bookbinding, home decorating and apparel. The ribbons are as practical as they are beautiful, long wearing and washable. Laura's tapestries are in museum collections such as:
The Art Institute of Chicago
The Archives of the Venice Biennale
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
The Denver Art Museum
Cranbrook Art Museum
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts
The Reading Public Museum

Source for authentic suzani's here.




4 comments:

Jan said...

ALL her ribbons are gorgeous.
I like even the ones described as basic.
Thanks for showing x

French-Kissed said...

Hi Patti,

What a discovery...these ribbons are spectacular and I would love to add some to my collection. In addition to the ribbons, I am happy to discover you and your wonderful site. I came over from Joni's as I saw your comment on the California honeymoon cottage. I am the designer who styled the photo shoot and wanted to let you know that if you would like to see more photos of the cottage, gardens and the main house I have a full post up on my site you might enjoy. Glad to meet you~ I will return! ~jermaine~

cotedetexas said...

omg, i am dying! gorgeous!!!!

Hakan Guzelgoz said...

Thank you for this great post! I love Suzanis and found all your links interesting.

Our shop have been collecting some Suzanis. Feel free to add some of my pictures to your blog :)
Our Flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpetview/sets/72157623407019843/