Wednesday 13 January 2010

Haiti: The Quake The Needs


I find it extremely hard not to focus on disasters such as the 7.0 earthquake that hit Haiti yesterday. Did you know that a floating hospital is heading toward the island? I didn't even know there would be such a thing -how naive can one blogger be? My mind wanders to the Mothers and the babies and the injured and, God help them, the trapped. Can you imagine being under rubble, unable to move, little air, blood, thirsty, tears, pain, fear, missing loved ones, alone, straining vision in blackness? - this post was not to upset you this morning. This post is my selfish need to get off my aching chest the thoughts swirling inside me. I feel helpless as they feel helpless. I want to jump on a plane with my camera and head to Haiti right now. I want to document the event; the human side of this. I want to take photos and give them to the people. I want to take photos of their loved ones, their homes, their hands, their faces, their tears - making the image tiny and placing it in a locket or on a pendant for them to keep. I want, but I can't. The best thing I can do now is spread awareness of the great need in Haiti with facebook, twitter (The Red Cross (@redcross) is also tweeting for support: "You can text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in #haiti.") and my blog. The next thing is money. Canadians are encouraged to support Red Cross relief efforts by making a financial donation to the Canadian Red Cross Haiti Earthquake fund. Donations can be made online at www.redcross.ca/donatenow , by calling toll free 1-800-418-1111 or at any Red Cross office. Americans click here. The island will need, need, need. Thank God for our online community - the powerful, loving, quick, supporting communication net. It is not life as usual today.



No comments: