Monday 11 May 2009

Giant Granny Square







Funny how trends come and go. I can remember when I was in my twenties and newly married, I thought crocheted items were so..well..tacky..can you believe it? How the heck could I have been so smug and snotty. My Mother was always a talent in this department (still is), as was my Sister-in-Law who passed away from cancer during those years. Oh how I wish that I owned some of those glorious, colourful granny square afghans. I would most certainly have the largest collection on the planet! Alas, now I have a few treasured pieces. Last night my Mom gave me another throw to match my turquoise one. I love it. Here is a post on Purl Bee on 'Giant Granny Squares'. You can also find inspiration on Jane's blog (she lives in Devon, England) and loves to crochet and do granny squares - did you know there are also 'granny triangles' and 'granny circles'? - and gee, if that isn't enough to get your granny foot tapping, check out these on flickr; considered the 'most interesting' creations. Thank You Mom.

And if you are feeling real 'DOG' crafty, here is a video tutorial by Martha Stewart on how to make Diamond Dog Necklaces.

1 comment:

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Thank you for this post! I have a beautiful Anna Sui sweater coat crocheted in granny squares and I had to retire it because it got a couple of holes in it and I didn't know how to repair it. Hopefully, with your handy links, I'll be able to figure out how to do it!