Wednesday 29 April 2009

It Feeds The Beast


Swine Flu, EARTH/LP

(Now doesn't that look 'media official' to you? I'm trying to make my teensy blog look like a big newspaper, or huffpost, or CNN by beginning the post/article with an AP (Associated Press) headline deck.)

The media are thanking the Media Gods and sacrificing their blackberrys for this ongoing flu epidemic story. They sit around in newsrooms praying for the next big thing - an O.J. type car chase, low-flying jets, plane crashes, politicians jumping off ship or ship-to-ship, earthquakes, job losses, bankruptcies, gun fights, celebs off the rails, missing children (sickening), car bombings, Israeli missiles - they love this stuff - they do. They live for it. They make entire sections devoted to it.

Now I'm not immune to this either. I'm not ashamed to admit that I do post commentary OP/ED's here on Liberty Post, but not because I have huge advertising revenue filling my pockets (my new Etsy shop will do that: wink) - but because I have a damn opinion about it all. (usually with regards to human rights issues...I get so steamed) And hell ya, my traffic goes up.

All in all, I have mixed feelings. We, the public, need to know about all things concerning our health and safety and we need to know it fast. Lightening fast. Case in point: low-flying jet being followed by jets in NYC. Now that would have been nice to know about beforehand. On the other hand, we, the public, don't need to be scared to death to leave our homes.

And be careful what you wish for. If you want to play with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch. Blogs are now considered 'the media'. Like it or not, we are all part of the solution/problem.

It's a media feast. It feeds the beast.




Sidebar: Obama Administration: Out With the 'Swine,' In With the 'H1N1 Virus'. CDC Flu Page is HERE.

3 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Yes indeedy. And said beast needs A LOT of said food.

I spewed coffee at your serving of fish comment on my post. You funny!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Isn't it all about ratings?

Anonymous said...

Hi girl! It's great to visit your blog again. It's been a little while...

I *shamefully* just heard about this swine flu yesterday. Strange how that happens when it's such a big deal.

It's hard to know when to jump in with both feat and when to sit on the sidelines, isn't it? I stick to "all in moderation" and usually I don't get in trouble (:

Ps: GREAT picture of you on the side!