Monday 9 February 2009

Is Your Clothesline Illegal?






Should we even care if they are unsightly? I for one love the look of a line full of snapping denim overalls, men's boxers and baby undershirts. Don't you? I've almost flipped my car many a time slamming over to the side of a country road to catch a shot of patterned cotton kissed by afternoon sunbeams. Apparently, I'm not the only one with this eco-habit. (Behold, 16,970 flickr images to flap over.) I have a crush on them. I'm hopelessly devoted to them. And you?

"Line drying is something so typically Austrailian to me that I associate with my childhood. There is nothing that I love more than to take time to clear my head and hang the washing out on the line on a beautiful day - it makes your clothes and linens smell so good and it is very eco-friendly. Our planet is our responsibility to take care of and line drying is one way in which we can all do our part to help the environment." - Olivia Newton-John


Photo Credit. Here and here and here and here.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved this post. funny that something that is SO a part of my life is so not elsewhere..
I have never owned a dryer.. and never will. my clothes hang outside to dry.. one of the benefits of an aussie sun.

peace and bliss,
Ngaire
x

Elle Jay Bee said...

I am so with you! I love my clothes line, and the simple act of hanging out the clothes makes me feel happy inside. Knowing I'm saving money, helping the planet...I get so infuriated by the bylaws that ban this practice! People who proclaim to be environmentally sensitive, yet turn up their noses at the clothesling...ugh! It all reeks of snobbery and a desire to live in the "perfect" neighbourhood, free of common things like clothes drying on a line.

Can you tell I'm passionate about this?

Linda