Thursday 24 July 2008

Junior Swimmer

Life is strung together by a fine thread; floating, bobbing, splashing. Most of the time it's about treading water to keep your nose 'just' above the surface. Life is a string of synchronized meetings and perhaps some happenstance. It all began with a little art desk spotted on the side of the road. Perfect, I thought for my six year old niece. Although I didn't buy the twenty dollar charmer at this yard sale, I did spy this vintage Red Cross swimming pin. My heart sank. I had earned one just like it years ago. Many years ago. I guess the 'Yardsailor' (Liberty speak for someone who hosts a yard sale and/or attends many yard sales often) noticed my joy and sighs. She came closer and whispered in my ear, 'You can have that. Take it.' I nearly jumped in her arms. Silly I know, but it was so familiar and nostalgic and aged just right. Carefully, I tucked it in my cotton pocket. Now the story comes full circle. My niece is taking swimming lessons. She is cautious and shy, yet she moves each day in a direction of earning 'Junior Swimmer'. Holding my breath she passes. Then she will receive this coveted pin (in a very special way).


4 comments:

Design Scouting said...

hi liberty! I love this pin... also, just realized I have you in my reader, not on my blogroll. Just added you. xo Abbey

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I clearly remember swimming lessons and the way my toes got all wrinkled up from walking around on the bottom of the shallow end of the pool.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Sweet. It's the little things, eh?
I also like how you keep changing your title page. Nifty!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

awww...lovely blog, by the way.